Roots, worm casts and different cover blends show amazing effects Source: Country Guide, written by Ralph Pearce. Soil health has been a buzz phrase that’s gone from a whisper three to five years ago to a chorus that’s spreading across the agrifood industry. That goes to show the swinging of the pendulum away from plowing […]
Ontario Agriculture College boosts spots in its agriculture programs by 30 per cent
The University of Guelph continues to increase enrollment in its agriculture programs, but graduates will continue to find four jobs available for each of them.
The Ontario Agriculture College (OAC), at the university has boosted spots in its agriculture programs by 30 per cent since 2012 and by 50 per cent in its Bachelor of Science in Agriculture program.
However, in the five years since the university last did a similar survey, respondents in agriculture and food processing say they have even more trouble filling jobs in the sector than they did five years ago – 67 per cent of agriculture companies and 51 per cent of food companies report difficulties in recruiting qualified workers. That compares to 40 per cent of agriculture and 28 per cent of food companies reporting similar challenges in 2012. Read more
Best management practices for late planted winter wheat
Source: OMAFRA Field Crop Team
With many soybean fields across the countryside just starting to change colour, harvest is not likely to begin anytime soon. A cool, wet spring delayed soybean planting in much of the province and cooler temperatures in August and September have pushed harvest back this fall compared to the last two years. As a result, growers are wondering whether or not they will be able to get winter wheat planted at an optimum time.
With winter wheat having huge benefits to a cropping system (an additional 10 bu/ac to the following corn crop and an additional 5 bu/ac to the following soybean crop) growers are encouraged to keep winter wheat in the rotation this fall if possible. Delayed planting can result in lower yields so being diligent this fall with our best management practices for establishing the winter wheat crop will be very important to reduce the risk of significant yield loss. Read more
Before long, the 2018 winter wheat crop will be seeded across the province (Figure 1). Long-term research at the University of Guelph’s Ridgetown campus shows that winter wheat in rotation provides an additional 10 bushels per acre to corn and 5 bushels to soybeans. At current crop prices, that means an extra 107 dollars per acre over a rotation.
What other benefits does wheat provide? And how might having wheat in rotation be positive from a soil fertility perspective? Read more
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CZ7 @ 3.45 up 2 CH8 @ 3.56 up 1 SF8 @ 9.90 dwn 1/2 SH8 @ 10.01 dwn 1/4 WZ7 @ 4.22 dwn 5… https://t.co/mEEO9jWMzy2 days ago
- Closing Quotes CZ7 @ 3.36 down 2 CH8 @ 3.49 down 2 SF8 @ 9.72 down 4 SH8 @ 9.83 down 4 WZ7 @ 4.21 up 1 WH8 @ 4.38 up 1/4 CDN$ .78436 days ago
- RT @AgBioWorld: There’s more land under farming in the world than previously thought according to USGS study of NASA satellite data https:…6 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: Field report: #organic corn yielding 125-130 dry bushels per acre in mid-western #ontag15 days ago
- RT @RichardsonAg93: Been using lots of quality data to make management decisions with growers this week! #sst #precision https://t.co/Ugb5D…49 days ago
- RT @guilbeault12: Good day for an IP test plot @ThompsonsGrain @CoatsworthBrnch @thompsons @dundee56 #AgMoreThanEver #JohnDeere #harvest201…54 days ago
- La Niña is coming: Here’s what it means for commodity marketsNovember 7, 2017 - 4:53 pm
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary for November 1, 2017November 2, 2017 - 4:30 pm
- Thompsons Organic Tour 2017 HighlightsNovember 1, 2017 - 8:52 am
- 2017 Grain Corn Ear Mould and Vomitoxin (DON) SurveyOctober 30, 2017 - 8:58 am
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary from ATISeptember 26, 2017 - 3:46 pm
- Farm Show demo digs deep on value of soil healthSeptember 25, 2017 - 9:14 am
- Jobs survey finds growing demand for agriculture graduatesSeptember 20, 2017 - 10:46 am