Now is the time for field crop harvest, and more motorists will be encountering farm equipment on rural roads, increasing the potential for accidents.
Harvest season generally brings a time when there is an increase in collisions between farm equipment and other vehicles.
Keep in mind the following safety tips for motorists as you share the road with farm equipment:
- Farm machinery has a legal right to use public roads just as other motor vehicles.
- Farm machinery can unexpectedly turn onto a public road from a field or driveway.
- Farm machinery operators may not be able to see you because the large equipment or a load can block part of their rear view.
- Slow-moving farm machinery traveling less than 25 miles per hour should display a slow moving vehicle emblem on the back of the equipment.
- Extra-wide farm machinery may take up more than one lane to avoid hitting obstacles such as mailboxes and road signs.
Before passing farm machinery:
- Look for left turn lights or hand signals. If the machinery slows and pulls toward the right side of the road, the operator is likely preparing to make a wide left turn.
- Be sure there is adequate distance for you to safely pass.
Rural road rage can be negated if everyone takes the responsibility to have extra patience, careful driving habits, and use high-visibility markings and lighting.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CZ8 @ 3.73 up 1 CH9 @ 3.85 up 1 SF9 @ 8.79 down 1/2 SH9 @ 8.92 down 1/4 WZ8 @ 5.07 dow… https://t.co/38i8MO2O516 days ago
- RT @Cornbroker21: WASDE REPORT RESULTS 11-8-2018 #Corn #Soybeans #Wheat https://t.co/KBOyhFZFpC6 days ago
- Closing Quotes CZ8 @ 3.64 down 2 CH9 @ 3.77 down 2 SF9 @ 8.47 down 5 SH9 @ 8.60 down 5 WZ8 @ 4.99 down 7… https://t.co/JGIqXER1an15 days ago
- RT @alex_lawton: Corn plot 2018 with @KentBridgeBrnch @TDehoey @Al_Shep10 @StennettBryan https://t.co/9xkRTJOHK013 hours ago
- RT @StennettBryan: Nice day for @BrevantSeedsCA corn plot with @Bill_Ross11 @PainCourtBranch. Great Yields. #OntAg #Harvest18 https://t.co…13 hours ago
- RT @MitchellBranch: Exciting new varieties are available as well, book your acres today! https://t.co/4WthsP3S6n13 hours ago
- Safety: Preparing for winter workNovember 13, 2018 - 4:29 pm
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary for November 8, 2018November 8, 2018 - 9:50 am
- Safety: Driving tips for late fall and early winterNovember 6, 2018 - 10:15 am
- Safety: Hazards of fall drivingNovember 1, 2018 - 3:33 pm
- Safety: Avoiding deer collisionsNovember 1, 2018 - 3:17 pm
- Safety: Mycotoxin (Vomitoxin) and respiratory healthNovember 1, 2018 - 2:38 pm
- Grain marketing video commentary for October 31, 2018October 31, 2018 - 12:45 pm