Falling commodity prices mean growers are concerned with their profit per acre. Input costs have remained high and have not adjusted to where farmers believe they should be. Until prices change, strategic adjustments will have to be made to stay profitable during lower commodity pricing years. Thompsons has identified 5 ways to help you reduce production costs without sacrificing yield.
About Agronomy Team
The Advanced Agronomy Solutions Team is committed to the implementation of our agronomy services by partnering with our customers to create a high level of opportunity, profitability and trust.
Our innovative approach to data collection and management enables Thompsons to provide individualized and customized recommendations that create higher, long term profitability. Paired with our advanced service options and equipment, our recommendations will surpass the needs of the grower and will create higher value.
Through ongoing research and innovation, our combined experience, and the pursuit of higher agronomic knowledge, Thompsons will continue to be regarded as a trusted leader in the industry.
Entries by Agronomy Team
Greg Stewart, OMAFRA Corn Specialist; Albert Tenuta, OMAFRA Field Crop Pathologist The OMAFRA Field Crops team has completed the survey of the 2014 Ontario corn crop to determine ear mould incidence and the occurrence of mycotoxins in the grain. These mycotoxins, particularly vomitoxin (DON) produced primarily by Gibberella/Fusarium ear moulds, are grading factors and can […]
Potassium (K) levels have been declining in Ontario fields. Many fields that have been sampled have noticed a drop in their soil sample potassium levels from a few years ago. Simply said, growers are not applying enough fertilizer. In some cases fertilization is less than what the crop will remove causing a decrease in soil […]
The evolution of soil sampling. pic.twitter.com/6hBU5rKs8j — Thompsons Agronomy (@ThompsonsAg) October 2, 2014
During years when soybeans are harvested later than expected or environmental conditions delay field work, winter wheat is generally skipped in the rotation or planting is rushed. When planting winter wheat later than the recommended planting dates, even more care should be taken to ensure yield potential is not lost. Planting date In general, delaying […]
Can I capture an early market premium? It’s that time of year again when growers look at their corn crop and go through the exercise of deciding when to harvest. They also wonder if they will be able to harvest a bit early to capture an early market premium for their corn. With the overall later planted crop and cool summer temperatures, […]
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CZ8 @ 3.51 up 1 CH9 @ 3.63 up 1 SX8 @ 8.30 down 2 SF9 @ 8.44 down 2 WZ8 @ 5.11 up 14 WH9… https://t.co/sArRR2OPDg7 days ago
- RT @kannbwx: Here's what USDA's 845 million bushel U.S. #soybean carryout looks like compared with the previous 22 years. The highest forec…7 days ago
- Be sure to come see us at the #IPM2018 next week! https://t.co/C1wHBWaAzT7 days ago
- RT @pcjejohnston: Come check out Thompsons at the International Plowing Match in Paincourt. We are the corner of Chatham-Kent Avenue and Se…4 days ago
- RT @MitchellBranch: Looking for #wheat seed for this fall? Check out the new @BrevantSeedsCA B654SRW and B743SRW winter wheat varieties! Pl…29 days ago
- High performing winter wheat varieties from Brevant - https://t.co/mcd75cgbLW Get them at your local @ThompsonsAg b… https://t.co/e7JwuzmeYW29 days ago
- Sharing the road – farmers and motoristsSeptember 20, 2018 - 4:49 pm
- Grain Marketing Commentary for September 19September 19, 2018 - 8:47 am
- Eye injury and preventionAugust 24, 2018 - 2:15 pm
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary for August 23, 2018August 24, 2018 - 8:08 am
- Mitchell Plot Tour – September 5th and 6thAugust 23, 2018 - 4:43 pm
- Grain Marketing weather update: August 16, 2018August 16, 2018 - 9:14 am
- Preparing silos and bins for harvestAugust 14, 2018 - 3:35 pm