CHICAGO, May 31 (Reuters) – With risks to U.S. soybean trade with China already in the air, trade threats from Mexico and Canada may be the last thing the U.S. agriculture industry wants to see. But that is precisely what happened on Thursday.
The United States fiercely angered its neighbors by proceeding with steel and aluminum tariffs against them despite earlier talks of possible exemptions. Unless the issue is resolved quickly, the impact on U.S. agriculture could worsen.
Canada and Mexico were the Nos. 1 and 3 importers of U.S. agricultural products by value in 2017, respectively. Both countries hit back with their own list of U.S. goods to target hours after the United States decided to impose tariffs on aluminum and steel imports from Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. Read more
Weed identification is halfway to control.
Identifying your weeds and understanding the life cycle of weeds is an important step to a proper and sound weed management strategy for your farm.
Each weed has a certain life cycle attached to it. It is important to know the life cycle of weeds to help you quickly identify which weed it could be in the field and to know how to control it. Read more
Did you know?
Faulty electrical systems cause approximately 40 per cent of farm building fires with a determined cause, making it one of the leading known causes of farm fires.
What can you do?
Regular inspections and maintenance are key to reducing the risk of a fire. We recommend that you work with a professional to inspect and monitor your farm buildings. Read more
Weed-free period in corn In corn this period occurs from V1 to V6 (1 to 6 leaf collars). Some sources will mention that it even begins at the VE stage (emergence). During this time the corn crop needs to stay clean. Weeds will affect yield
Here are some tips to avoid injury by evaluating activities and preparing for them
Farmers take their aches and pains as part of their work, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
Understanding factors that contribute to on-farm injury can be a start to reducing risk of getting hurt.
Why it matters: Farmers are busy, especially in certain seasons of the year, so reducing risk of injury when they need to be at their physical best can have important farm business implications.
Julie Anceriz, Syngenta Canada’s territory health and safety manager, told a recent Whole Farm Health seminar put on by the Ag Women’s Network, that there are ergonomic factors that affect risk of injury no matter what type of work one does, whether sedentary at an office chair or in a combine or tractor, or active, lifting and doing heavy work. Read more
With the cold winter that we have had, a slow start of insect development may occur. Many of the acres planted in Ontario have been planted with neonicotinoid insecticides. With the current debates over neonicotinoid insecticides, the best strategies to control pests is to start with a good knowledge of crop pests. By understanding early […]
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CU8 @ 3.41 down 4 CZ8 @ 3.54 down 4 SQ8 @ 8.18 down 15 SU8 @ 8.24 down 14 WU8 @ 4.97 up 12… https://t.co/3GlxlnCH67yesterday
- RT @SWOAG4Life: 1st western bean cutworm egg mass found in Rodney Ontario. Corn was planted early May. 5 days away from tassel emergence ht…3 days ago
- RT @Cornbroker21: Crop Progress and Condition Ratings as of 7-8-2018 https://t.co/asSmBEuGIe5 days ago
- It's Western Bean Cutworm trap season! Watch the counts in your area on our weekly maps. https://t.co/Jtyt0R0Gap https://t.co/PnWbnSM1KI2 days ago
- RT @SWOAG4Life: Looking for plot cooperators. Is anybody with 30' row soybeans willing to do some sidedress Nitrogen trials? @ThompsonsAg @…4 days ago
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary for Tuesday, July 3, 2018. Comments on weather, corn and soybeans. https://t.co/UZGCI0FzhB11 days ago
- Grain Marketing video commentary for corn, soybeans and weatherJuly 13, 2018 - 8:45 am
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary Tuesday, July 3, 2018July 3, 2018 - 3:43 pm
- Watch for Armyworm in spring cereals and mixed foragesJune 29, 2018 - 4:24 pm
- Lifting and rigging safetyJune 28, 2018 - 4:59 pm
- Hensall Rain Garden at Thompsons LimitedJune 27, 2018 - 11:28 am
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary – June 26, 2018June 27, 2018 - 8:11 am
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary June 20, 2018June 20, 2018 - 3:41 pm