What is it? Fusarium Head Blight is a fungal disease that affects the head of small grain crops. Also referred to as Scab, it can affect wheat, barley, oats, rye, corn, and triticale. Wheat and barley are generally the most affected. It is mainly caused by the species Fusarium graminearum, and can cause loss of […]
Combine tips and notes
- Higher fan speeds are needed to blow infected kernels out the back. Ridgetown College has done studies on fan speeds, and there is a tenfold decrease in the amount of Fusarium damaged kernels in a sample when the fan speed is at maximum blast. But with that comes challenges of losing good healthy kernels.
- Research from Ohio State showed combine fan speeds between 1375 and 1475 RPM and the shutter opening at 3.5 inches received the lowest discounts at elevators from FHB damaged wheat kernels and DON levels in the harvested grain.
- Reduce combine speed. Having the combine traveling at a slower speed, will allow better separation between the good and bad kernels.
- In fields which are severely affected by leaf diseases, the lower test weight of the grain may make it more difficult to separate normal kernels from Fusarium damaged kernels.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Remember to add a photo and your local participating Thompsons branch handle in orderly qualify @PortAlbertBrnch… https://t.co/LL0jOYTy342 days ago
- Closing Quotes CZ8 @ 3.78 up 4 CH9 @ 3.90 up 4 SX8 @ 8.91 up 24 SF9 @ 9.05 up 24 WZ8 @ 5.25 up 7 WH9 @ 5.43 up 6 CDN$ .77104 days ago
- RT @ThompsonsCareer: Now accepting applications for College and University Summer Student positions at various locations! Apply to your l…4 days ago
- RT @MitchellBranch: Spending some time in the office this week while its raining? Take a look through your soil tests and see which fields…18 days ago
- The importance of pH and lime - https://t.co/KvMEAgVnxy https://t.co/g5EMwigqgq21 days ago
- RT @pcjejohnston: Come check out Thompsons at the International Plowing Match in Paincourt. We are the corner of Chatham-Kent Avenue and Se…32 days ago
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary for October 17, 2018October 17, 2018 - 12:44 pm
- Safe loading of pickup trucksOctober 15, 2018 - 2:29 pm
- Thanksgiving Safety TipsOctober 5, 2018 - 5:04 pm
- Corn Earworm presence higher than expected – Check your fieldsOctober 5, 2018 - 9:36 am
- Safety: Compressed Gas Cylinder StorageOctober 4, 2018 - 1:30 pm
- Grain Marketing video commentary – October 3October 3, 2018 - 4:22 pm
- OMAFRA Field Crop Report: 2018 Seasonal Insect Pest SummarySeptember 28, 2018 - 9:35 am