What is it? Fusarium Head Blight is a fungal disease that affects the head of small grain crops. Also referred to as Scab, it can affect wheat, barley, oats, rye, corn, and triticale. Wheat and barley are generally the most affected. It is mainly caused by the species Fusarium graminearum, and can cause loss of […]
http://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FusariumHeadBlightField2.jpg 307 800 Agronomy Team http://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Thompsons-Revolution-Logo-Retina.png Agronomy Team2018-06-07 15:05:302018-06-07 15:35:02Fusarium head blight
http://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FusariumHeadBlightField.jpg 1200 1600 Agronomy Team http://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Thompsons-Revolution-Logo-Retina.png Agronomy Team2015-07-06 15:17:042015-07-16 17:37:20Managing Fusarium Head Blight at harvest
Combine tips and notes
- Higher fan speeds are needed to blow infected kernels out the back. Ridgetown College has done studies on fan speeds, and there is a tenfold decrease in the amount of Fusarium damaged kernels in a sample when the fan speed is at maximum blast. But with that comes challenges of losing good healthy kernels.
- Research from Ohio State showed combine fan speeds between 1375 and 1475 RPM and the shutter opening at 3.5 inches received the lowest discounts at elevators from FHB damaged wheat kernels and DON levels in the harvested grain.
- Reduce combine speed. Having the combine traveling at a slower speed, will allow better separation between the good and bad kernels.
- In fields which are severely affected by leaf diseases, the lower test weight of the grain may make it more difficult to separate normal kernels from Fusarium damaged kernels.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- RT @StennettBryan: Must be getting closer to Christmas.@KentBridgeBrnch @Chathamnews #ontag @ThompsonsAg #HolidayTrain2018 https://t.co/JV0…15 days ago
- https://t.co/SVcUUfA3n115 days ago
- Closing Quote CZ8 @ 3.56 up 1/2 CH9 @ 3.68 up 1/2 SF9 @ 8.75 up 13 SH9 @ 8.89 up 13 WZ8 @ 4.98 down 9 W… https://t.co/2x4pzl404D18 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: If you're in #OntAg, that's us! https://t.co/h9nZjhqBBq11 days ago
- Winner of Thompsons #WelcometoBrevant Twitter contest https://t.co/u1PbzSAeVb22 days ago
- RT @ChrisRobson11: Come on out to @KentBridgeBrnch for a burger today courtesy of Thompsons and @BrevantSeedsCA See if you can beat @VanDeV…22 days ago
- Safety: Hypothermia – Recognition & PreventionDecember 14, 2018 - 12:38 pm
- Grain Marketing for December 5, 2018December 6, 2018 - 2:54 pm
- Turning girls into farmersDecember 6, 2018 - 2:45 pm
- Safety: Climbing ladders safelyNovember 30, 2018 - 3:28 pm
- Safety: Common electrical hazardsNovember 29, 2018 - 2:19 pm
- Grain Marketing News for November 28November 28, 2018 - 3:00 pm
- Safety: Slips, trips and falls – winter safety tipsNovember 26, 2018 - 5:41 pm