Bean leaf beetles (BLB) are showing up in early planted soybeans that were treated with only fungicide seed treatment. As the result of area wide use of insecticide seed treatments, this pest had much of a presence over the last decade. Thankfully, rescue treatments are still possible if threshold has been reached. Read more
CHICAGO, May 31 (Reuters) – With risks to U.S. soybean trade with China already in the air, trade threats from Mexico and Canada may be the last thing the U.S. agriculture industry wants to see. But that is precisely what happened on Thursday.
The United States fiercely angered its neighbors by proceeding with steel and aluminum tariffs against them despite earlier talks of possible exemptions. Unless the issue is resolved quickly, the impact on U.S. agriculture could worsen.
Canada and Mexico were the Nos. 1 and 3 importers of U.S. agricultural products by value in 2017, respectively. Both countries hit back with their own list of U.S. goods to target hours after the United States decided to impose tariffs on aluminum and steel imports from Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. Read more
Weed-free period in corn In corn this period occurs from V1 to V6 (1 to 6 leaf collars). Some sources will mention that it even begins at the VE stage (emergence). During this time the corn crop needs to stay clean. Weeds will affect yield
Calculating soybean yields can be difficult. Plant spacing, soil types, environmental factors, insect and disease stress can all affect the final yield. Pod numbers, seeds per pod, and seed size will all control yield.
When do I begin counting?
The earliest time to begin yield counts is around R5-R6 stage with the R6 stage being preferred (a pod on any of the top four nodes of main stem full of seed.). By R6, all flowering will stop, pods have developed, and seeds in the pods are mostly filled. The accuracy of counts will always increase the closer you are to harvest.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- RT @igpc2007: Meet Jennifer, Brian and Brent of @igpc2007 at @OntPorkCongress today and tomorrow in Strathford. Check out our new booth dis…8 hours ago
- Closing Quotes CN8 @ 3.56 down 5 CU8 @ 3.65 down 5 SN8 @ 9.08 up 3 SQ8 @ 9.14 up 2 WN8@ 4.90 down 9 WU8… https://t.co/5Gf7c5kvyj2 days ago
- RT @igpc2007: Meet IGPC Feed's Team: Brent Cavell, Feed Sales Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jennifer Scully, Logistics Coordinator (Jscully…7 days ago
- RT @SharonVogels: Checking out the work microbiology are doing in-furrow. #Ecotea @MitchellBranch @ThompsonsAg https://t.co/jl37DkrbDJ2 days ago
- RT @OntarioSoilCrop: Do you farm within the Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair watersheds? Apply now for #LEADS project cost-share funding. #CdnA…9 days ago
- RT @iironmaiden: #localfood strawberries are on at Pardos berry farm west of Blenheim #Ontario. Bought my flat this morning #OntAg. https:/…11 days ago
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary June 20, 2018June 20, 2018 - 3:41 pm
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary – June 13, 2018June 13, 2018 - 3:38 pm
- Bean Leaf Beetles Showing up in Essex and Chatham KentJune 7, 2018 - 3:51 pm
- Fusarium head blightJune 7, 2018 - 3:05 pm
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary June 5, 2018June 5, 2018 - 5:02 pm
- Lots at stake for U.S. agriculture amid Mexican, Canadian trade threatsJune 1, 2018 - 11:51 am
- Life cycle of weedsJune 1, 2018 - 9:05 am