Greg Stewart, OMAFRA Corn Specialist; Albert Tenuta, OMAFRA Field Crop Pathologist
The OMAFRA Field Crops team has completed the survey of the 2014 Ontario corn crop to determine ear mould incidence and the occurrence of mycotoxins in the grain. These mycotoxins, particularly vomitoxin (DON) produced primarily by Gibberella/Fusarium ear moulds, are grading factors and can be disruptive when fed to livestock, especially hogs.
202 samples were collected from October 14 to October 17, 2014 from corn fields across the province. In each field, 2 random areas were selected: in each area 10 consecutive ears were hand harvested and bagged. In fields with several hybrids, representative samples were taken from two areas for each hybrid (maximum of 4 hybrids per field). The 20-ear samples were then immediately dried and shelled. The resultant sample was thoroughly mixed and a sub-sample provided to A&L Laboratories in London for vomitoxin (DON) analysis.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CN8 @ 3.95 down 4 CU8 @ 4.03 down 4 SN8 @ 9.95 down 4 SQ8 @ 9.98 down 4 WN8 @ 4.97 up 3 WU8 @ 5.13 up 3 CDN$ .78156 days ago
- RT @StennettBryan: @NutriAg_Ben @NutriAg our ManzinphosMaxPlus tank showed up. Good bye 10L jugs, hello 1000L totes @ThompsonsAg #ontag htt…6 days ago
- Closing Quotes CN8 @ 3.99 down 3 CU8 @ 4.07 down 3 SN8 @ 9.99 down 19 SQ8 @ 10.03 down 18 WN8 @ 4.94 up 3/4… https://t.co/M436hwNRG27 days ago
- RT @MitchellBranch: We wear safety on our sleeves @MitchellBranch @SharonVogels @FarmKid92 @DressageAmanda1 #SeedInventory #MeetingOfTheMin…6 days ago
- RT @ONIPMcornsoy: Good info on early season pests @thompsonsAg: https://t.co/MM8yYDstFF. Start scouting! https://t.co/zFMhdzf27M16 days ago
- RT @ArmacreFarms: Just in time for spring. 2 new tenders are ready for action @KentBridgeBrnch @ThompsonsAg https://t.co/Pn6KLw9jji29 days ago
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary – May 15, 2018May 15, 2018 - 2:13 pm
- Critical weed-free periodMay 10, 2018 - 12:10 pm
- Day-to-day work around the farm doesn’t have to be painfulMay 2, 2018 - 9:32 am
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary May 1, 2018May 2, 2018 - 9:05 am
- Early season pestsApril 30, 2018 - 2:20 pm
- Nitrogen stabilizersApril 24, 2018 - 4:30 pm
- Do you understand the different forms of micronutrients?April 18, 2018 - 1:14 pm