Greg Stewart, OMAFRA Corn Specialist; Albert Tenuta, OMAFRA Field Crop Pathologist
The OMAFRA Field Crops team has completed the survey of the 2014 Ontario corn crop to determine ear mould incidence and the occurrence of mycotoxins in the grain. These mycotoxins, particularly vomitoxin (DON) produced primarily by Gibberella/Fusarium ear moulds, are grading factors and can be disruptive when fed to livestock, especially hogs.
202 samples were collected from October 14 to October 17, 2014 from corn fields across the province. In each field, 2 random areas were selected: in each area 10 consecutive ears were hand harvested and bagged. In fields with several hybrids, representative samples were taken from two areas for each hybrid (maximum of 4 hybrids per field). The 20-ear samples were then immediately dried and shelled. The resultant sample was thoroughly mixed and a sub-sample provided to A&L Laboratories in London for vomitoxin (DON) analysis.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CH8 @ 3.65 down 2 CK8 @ 3.73 down 1 SH8 @ 10.26 up 5 SK8 @ 10.37 up 5 WH8 @ 4.49 down 8 WK8 @ 4.62 down 9 CDN$ .791114 hours ago
- Closing Quotes CH8 @ 3.67 up 1/2 CK8 @ 3.75 up 3/4 SH8 @ 10.24 up 7 SK8 @ 10.35 up 7 WH8 @ 4.61 up 6 WK8 @ 4.75 up 6 CDN .80125 days ago
- Closing Quotes CH8 @ 3.67 up 1/2 CK8 @ 3.74 up 1/2 SH8 @ 10.17 up 5 SK8 @ 10.27 up 5 WH8 @ 4.55 down 5 WK8 @ 4.69 down 4 CDN$ .80056 days ago
- RT @SharonVogels: @FarmKid92 discussing #striptill agronomy @DeltaPowerEquip @ThompsonsAg https://t.co/aJEn0RSz4J7 days ago
- RT @DeltaTIgroup: Class is in session at our #Exeter store! Thanks to @ThompsonsAg for the opportunity to host your staff & customers today…7 days ago
- Happy #CdnAgDay! @thompsonsag celebrates Canadian agriculture: a strong, innovative & diverse industry. #CdnAg… https://t.co/jwKSYmJsJ57 days ago
- Grain Marketing Video Commentary – February 14, 2018February 14, 2018 - 5:20 pm
- Celebrating Canadian Agriculture DayFebruary 13, 2018 - 8:30 am
- Back to safety basics – operating a tractorFebruary 12, 2018 - 12:48 pm
- Final day to sign up!January 26, 2018 - 12:33 pm
- Safety Insights – Winter Safety TipsDecember 21, 2017 - 3:37 pm
- A star amongst usDecember 8, 2017 - 3:39 pm
- Advance Trading – Grain Marketing Video CommentaryDecember 5, 2017 - 6:12 pm