Now is the time for field crop harvest, and more motorists will be encountering farm equipment on rural roads, increasing the potential for accidents.
Harvest season generally brings a time when there is an increase in collisions between farm equipment and other vehicles.
Keep in mind the following safety tips for motorists as you share the road with farm equipment:
- Farm machinery has a legal right to use public roads just as other motor vehicles.
- Farm machinery can unexpectedly turn onto a public road from a field or driveway.
- Farm machinery operators may not be able to see you because the large equipment or a load can block part of their rear view.
- Slow-moving farm machinery traveling less than 25 miles per hour should display a slow moving vehicle emblem on the back of the equipment.
- Extra-wide farm machinery may take up more than one lane to avoid hitting obstacles such as mailboxes and road signs.
Before passing farm machinery:
- Look for left turn lights or hand signals. If the machinery slows and pulls toward the right side of the road, the operator is likely preparing to make a wide left turn.
- Be sure there is adequate distance for you to safely pass.
Rural road rage can be negated if everyone takes the responsibility to have extra patience, careful driving habits, and use high-visibility markings and lighting.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CK9 @ 3.71 down 1/4 CN9 @ 3.80 --- SK9 @ 9.04 down 1 SN9 @ 9.17 down 1 WK9 @ 4.56 down… https://t.co/6QfewBZ6Q72 days ago
- RT @JoshBoersen: We've just learned about how #DON will be handled next year through @Agricorp Hoping this will help #ontag #corn growers m…3 days ago
- Closing Quotes CK9 @ 3.71 down 1 CN9 @ 3.80 down 1 SK9 @ 9.05 down 3 SN9 @ 9.19 down 3 WK9 @ 4.56 down 5… https://t.co/MDu9NpqN0C3 days ago
- RT @FertilizerCA: @FertilizerCA would like to congratulate @KentBridgeBrnch for being the first agriculture nutrient service providers to a…16 hours ago
- RT @KentBridgeBrnch: Thompsons Kent Bridge is very proud to announce that we are the first 4R Nutrient Stewardship Certified retailer in Ca…20 hours ago
- RT @planfarmsafety: It's all a part of building an #AgSafeCanada. https://t.co/lQzNNngPII27 days ago
- Thompsons is first agri-retailer to earn 4R Nutrient Stewardship Certification in OntarioMarch 21, 2019 - 4:04 pm
- Safety: tire explosionsMarch 8, 2019 - 12:23 pm
- Grain marketing video March 6, 2019March 6, 2019 - 11:49 am
- Thompsons first 4R Certified Retailer in CanadaMarch 5, 2019 - 4:00 pm
- Thompsons Limited/ShutterstockSafety: loose cargo inside and outside of a motor vehicleFebruary 26, 2019 - 12:01 pm
- Grain marketing video for February 20, 2019February 21, 2019 - 11:01 am
- Why is the water in McGregor Creek so brown?February 13, 2019 - 5:09 pm