What is it? Fusarium Head Blight is a fungal disease that affects the head of small grain crops. Also referred to as Scab, it can affect wheat, barley, oats, rye, corn, and triticale. Wheat and barley are generally the most affected. It is mainly caused by the species Fusarium graminearum, and can cause loss of […]
About Agronomy Team
The Advanced Agronomy Solutions Team is committed to the implementation of our agronomy services by partnering with our customers to create a high level of opportunity, profitability and trust.
Our innovative approach to data collection and management enables Thompsons to provide individualized and customized recommendations that create higher, long term profitability. Paired with our advanced service options and equipment, our recommendations will surpass the needs of the grower and will create higher value.
Through ongoing research and innovation, our combined experience, and the pursuit of higher agronomic knowledge, Thompsons will continue to be regarded as a trusted leader in the industry.
Entries by Agronomy Team
Weed identification is halfway to control. Identifying your weeds and understanding the life cycle of weeds is an important step to a proper and sound weed management strategy for your farm. Each weed has a certain life cycle attached to it. It is important to know the life cycle of weeds to help you quickly […]
Weed-free period in corn In corn this period occurs from V1 to V6 (1 to 6 leaf collars). Some sources will mention that it even begins at the VE stage (emergence). During this time the corn crop needs to stay clean. Weeds will affect yield
With the cold winter that we have had, a slow start of insect development may occur. Many of the acres planted in Ontario have been planted with neonicotinoid insecticides. With the current debates over neonicotinoid insecticides, the best strategies to control pests is to start with a good knowledge of crop pests. By understanding early […]
Nitrogen management has always been a challenge in high nitrogen demand crops such as corn and winter wheat. The three pathways that can contribute to significant nitrogen loss are: Volatilization (loss of ammonia nitrogen to the atmosphere from the soil surface), Denitrification (which occurs when soils are saturated and in an anaerobic environment) and Leaching […]
Increased interest in micronutrients When it comes to applying micronutrients, understanding the different forms that they can come in is very important to know. There is an increased interest in micronutrients with today’s growers. Many growers and advisors realize that these can be a major limiting factor in crop growth. In order to increase yields, the […]
Phosphorus is a nutrient that is greatly needed for high yields in crop production. It stimulates root development, increases stalk and stem strength, improves flower formation and seed production, improves crop quality, and supports development throughout the entire life cycle of the plant. Phosphorous has also been receiving a lot of attention lately in the […]
A starter fertilizer application is key to achieving the highest yield possible. It promotes an increase in early season plant growth, increased nutrient availability, and earlier crop maturity. Applied nutrients are used more efficiently and provide a greater return on investment for your fertilizer dollars. Finally, starter fertilizers promote good environmental stewardship because
Nitrogen on winter wheat Cereals are very responsive to nitrogen. However, over-application of nitrogen or applying too early on a thick stand of wheat can cause lodging, resulting in reduced yield, quality, and harvestability. The optimum rate of nitrogen for a particular field will depend on the type of wheat grown, past applications of manure […]
Assessing winter survival in wheat Factors affecting winter survival in wheat The ability of winter wheat plants to survive winter often depends on each plant’s ability to tolerate low temperatures. Winter wheat plants go through a process called ‘cold acclimation’ in the fall during which each plant acquires the ability to withstand the cold temperatures […]
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CU9 @ 3.63 up 3/4 CZ9 @ 3.71 up 3/4 SU9 @ 8.56 down 4 SX9 @ 8.68 down 4 WU9 @ 4.67 up 4… https://t.co/fCOt4LflrD3 days ago
- Closing Quotes CU9 @ 3.62 up 3 CZ9 @ 3.70 up 1 SU9 @ 8.60 up 4 SX9 @ 8.73 up 4 WU9 @ 4.62 up 2 WZ9 @ 4.68 up 1 CDN$ .75264 days ago
- RT @Stocktwits: A tutorial on how to cut losses /// h/t @crypto_blkbeard https://t.co/ZPmdlsPnOL5 days ago
- RT @farmtario: Tips to reduce your fire risk when in the field. https://t.co/GeUWtw0c9o #ontag https://t.co/zXEHfi4VNB16 days ago
- RT @farmtario: Our most-read story overnight: Ontario grain and bean handler Thompsons Ltd. to sell its crop agronomy business to retail bu…17 days ago
- RT @farmtario: How to reduce your fire risk when in the field. #ontag https://t.co/iCoCgq3Ibe https://t.co/OFNmigowrx17 days ago
- Grain marketing video comments for August 21, 2019August 21, 2019 - 4:01 pm
- Grain marketing video comments for August 13, 2019August 16, 2019 - 11:51 am
- Grain marketing commentary for August 12, 2019August 13, 2019 - 2:45 pm
- Sylvite purchases Thompsons’ agronomy business from The Andersons Inc.August 7, 2019 - 1:09 pm
- Safety: Be aware of your surroundingsJuly 18, 2019 - 10:41 am
- Market Minute with ATI’s Mark TalaskiJuly 9, 2019 - 8:37 am
- Safety: pressure washer safetyJuly 4, 2019 - 4:14 pm