[View the story “Thompsons Limited Organic Farm Bus Tour” on Storify]
About Agronomy Team
The Advanced Agronomy Solutions Team is committed to the implementation of our agronomy services by partnering with our customers to create a high level of opportunity, profitability and trust.
Our innovative approach to data collection and management enables Thompsons to provide individualized and customized recommendations that create higher, long term profitability. Paired with our advanced service options and equipment, our recommendations will surpass the needs of the grower and will create higher value.
Through ongoing research and innovation, our combined experience, and the pursuit of higher agronomic knowledge, Thompsons will continue to be regarded as a trusted leader in the industry.
Entries by Agronomy Team
Written by Alex Richardson, Agricultural Consultant, Thompsons – Blenheim. Wheat harvest is complete and yields have given us great insight about our fields once again. Variability was evident, and the results remind us it’s time to soil sample. Soil sampling after wheat harvest is a great option to allow for the right conditions, and the […]
Late season nitrogen application has been a hot topic amongst farmers and uptake in this practice has increased in recent years. The expense and environmental impact has made growers think differently about nitrogen application. Weather extremes has also caused growers to change the way they apply nitrogen to mitigate loses from excessive rainfall when applying […]
What increases the risk of infection? Cool temperatures Prolonged periods of wet weather Rust problems in the southern US states and Mexico could mean the same for Ontario as storm systems carry the spores north Planting susceptible varieties.Planting after another cereal or corn crop. How do I know when to apply a fungicide?
Now that your crops are in the bin, it’s important to learn how to keep them conditioned and stored properly. Throughout the winter months it’s important to monitor your soybean temperature, and to aerate your bins. If you haven’t sold any beans then coring out your bin can be an option to remove some fines, […]
With soil nutrient levels dropping, how do you need to change your soil-testing program and fertility rates? By Ralph Pearce, CG Production Editor Fewer farmers are sampling their soils. In Ontario, the numbers say fewer than 30 per cent of farmers test every three years, even though this trend is leading to a data gap at […]
Early corn yield estimations are a great way to get out into your field and start to predict the yield of different varieties given the growing season. It allows a grower to start making harvest decisions, marketing decisions, and to estimate needed storage capacity. How many spots should I sample from? Generally doing a kernel […]
Calculating soybean yields can be difficult. Plant spacing, soil types, environmental factors, insect and disease stress can all affect the final yield. Pod numbers, seeds per pod, and seed size will all control yield. When do I begin counting? The earliest time to begin yield counts is around R5-R6 stage with the R6 stage being […]
What is it? Gibberella Ear Rot, or Red Ear Rot, is caused by the fungus, Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum). This disease can occur throughout the U.S. Mid-West and Southern Ontario. The pathogen overwinters on corn, wheat and barley debris. Spores produced on the debris lead to infection during silking. Red Ear Rot is more prevalent […]
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CK9 @ 3.73 up 3 CN9 @ 3.81 up 2 SK9 @ 9.09 up 10 SN9 @ 9.23 up 10 WK9 @ 4.62 up 9 WN9 @ 4.68 up 8 CDN$ .74962 days ago
- Closing Quotes CK9 @ 3.65 up 4 CN9 @ 3.75 up 4 SK9 @ 8.97 up 7 SN9 @ 9.11 up 7 WK9 @ 4.53 up 24 WN9 @ 4.60 up 24 CDN$ .74885 days ago
- RT @Cornbroker21: Weekly Change In Commodity Values https://t.co/y1x7IHRve99 days ago
- RT @planfarmsafety: It's all a part of building an #AgSafeCanada. https://t.co/lQzNNngPII24 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: This article on "Building the Microbial Bridge" is an excellent summary of the #organic approach to soil and crop fert…31 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: If you're in #OntAg, that's us! https://t.co/h9nZjhqBBq104 days ago
- Safety: tire explosionsMarch 8, 2019 - 12:23 pm
- Grain marketing video March 6, 2019March 6, 2019 - 11:49 am
- Thompsons first 4R Certified Retailer in CanadaMarch 5, 2019 - 4:00 pm
- Thompsons Limited/ShutterstockSafety: loose cargo inside and outside of a motor vehicleFebruary 26, 2019 - 12:01 pm
- Grain marketing video for February 20, 2019February 21, 2019 - 11:01 am
- Why is the water in McGregor Creek so brown?February 13, 2019 - 5:09 pm
- Grain marketing video comments for February 13, 2019February 13, 2019 - 2:38 pm