Ear rots can be difficult to control since weather conditions are critical to the disease development. Rots can establish any time after pollination in wounds created by insects, birds, machinery, and even hail. Rainy weather or heavy, prolonged dews often lead to ear rots in these wounded cobs. Why are rots a concern? The direct […]
About Agronomy Team
The Advanced Agronomy Solutions Team is committed to the implementation of our agronomy services by partnering with our customers to create a high level of opportunity, profitability and trust.
Our innovative approach to data collection and management enables Thompsons to provide individualized and customized recommendations that create higher, long term profitability. Paired with our advanced service options and equipment, our recommendations will surpass the needs of the grower and will create higher value.
Through ongoing research and innovation, our combined experience, and the pursuit of higher agronomic knowledge, Thompsons will continue to be regarded as a trusted leader in the industry.
Entries by Agronomy Team
The distribution and prevalence of stalk rot diseases vary from year to year. However, the diseases are present in most years even though it may be at low levels. The majority of stalk rot damage in Ontario is caused by three fungi, Anthracnose, Gibberella and Fusarium. However, Diplodia and Pythium have also been observed. Although […]
The less infected kernels that go into storage the better, and the greater of a chance a grower will have for not getting docked to a lower grade of wheat. Combine tips and notes Higher fan speeds are needed to blow infected kernels out the back. Ridgetown College has done studies on fan speeds, and […]
Why are they a concern? The western bean cutworm is a damaging pest in corn and dry edible beans. They can cause large yield losses and reduced grain quality. In corn They begin to feed on the tassels and silks until they are large enough to tunnel into the ear and feed extensively on the
How do I know when to apply a fungicide? The higher the price of wheat, the more economical treatment is. In general, if trace amounts of rust, powdery mildew, or leaf spot are
Micronutrients are essential to plant growth and aid in achieving yields that growers need. Unlike a macronutrient such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, micronutrients are required by the plant in small amounts, but are equally as important for proper crop growth and yield. The micronutrients that are key to growth include Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, […]
Farmers are well known to be excellent stewards of the land. By following recommended Best Management Practices (BMPs) when planting your insecticide-treated seed, you’re helping support both healthy crops and healthy bees.
Holly Loucas, Agronomist, DOW Agroscience What is snow mould? Snow moulds are cold-loving fungi that can attack many economic plants under a cover of snow. Pathogen biology The important species of snow moulds that infect winter wheat are Microdochium nivale and Typhla spp. Gray snow mould (Typhula spp) is the less damaging form of snow […]
With the snow beginning to melt and spring just around the corner, it’s time to begin thinking about seeding your clover cover crops on the frost for your winter grains. Clover is still one of the most beneficial cover crops to use when you have a winter grain crop. Thompsons Agronomy has put together some […]
Humic DG™ — the next generation of soil health Upon contact with water, each Humic DG granule disperses into thousands of micro particles that move directly into the root zone and provide immediate benefits to the soil and plant.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CK9 @ 3.73 up 3 CN9 @ 3.81 up 2 SK9 @ 9.09 up 10 SN9 @ 9.23 up 10 WK9 @ 4.62 up 9 WN9 @ 4.68 up 8 CDN$ .74962 days ago
- Closing Quotes CK9 @ 3.65 up 4 CN9 @ 3.75 up 4 SK9 @ 8.97 up 7 SN9 @ 9.11 up 7 WK9 @ 4.53 up 24 WN9 @ 4.60 up 24 CDN$ .74885 days ago
- RT @Cornbroker21: Weekly Change In Commodity Values https://t.co/y1x7IHRve99 days ago
- RT @planfarmsafety: It's all a part of building an #AgSafeCanada. https://t.co/lQzNNngPII24 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: This article on "Building the Microbial Bridge" is an excellent summary of the #organic approach to soil and crop fert…31 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: If you're in #OntAg, that's us! https://t.co/h9nZjhqBBq104 days ago
- Safety: tire explosionsMarch 8, 2019 - 12:23 pm
- Grain marketing video March 6, 2019March 6, 2019 - 11:49 am
- Thompsons first 4R Certified Retailer in CanadaMarch 5, 2019 - 4:00 pm
- Thompsons Limited/ShutterstockSafety: loose cargo inside and outside of a motor vehicleFebruary 26, 2019 - 12:01 pm
- Grain marketing video for February 20, 2019February 21, 2019 - 11:01 am
- Why is the water in McGregor Creek so brown?February 13, 2019 - 5:09 pm
- Grain marketing video comments for February 13, 2019February 13, 2019 - 2:38 pm