What is it? Fusarium Head Blight is a fungal disease that affects the head of small grain crops. Also referred to as Scab, it can affect wheat, barley, oats, rye, corn, and triticale. Wheat and barley are generally the most affected. It is mainly caused by the species Fusarium graminearum, and can cause loss of […]
CHICAGO, May 31 (Reuters) – With risks to U.S. soybean trade with China already in the air, trade threats from Mexico and Canada may be the last thing the U.S. agriculture industry wants to see. But that is precisely what happened on Thursday.
The United States fiercely angered its neighbors by proceeding with steel and aluminum tariffs against them despite earlier talks of possible exemptions. Unless the issue is resolved quickly, the impact on U.S. agriculture could worsen.
Canada and Mexico were the Nos. 1 and 3 importers of U.S. agricultural products by value in 2017, respectively. Both countries hit back with their own list of U.S. goods to target hours after the United States decided to impose tariffs on aluminum and steel imports from Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. Read more
Weed identification is halfway to control.
Identifying your weeds and understanding the life cycle of weeds is an important step to a proper and sound weed management strategy for your farm.
Each weed has a certain life cycle attached to it. It is important to know the life cycle of weeds to help you quickly identify which weed it could be in the field and to know how to control it. Read more
Did you know?
Faulty electrical systems cause approximately 40 per cent of farm building fires with a determined cause, making it one of the leading known causes of farm fires.
What can you do?
Regular inspections and maintenance are key to reducing the risk of a fire. We recommend that you work with a professional to inspect and monitor your farm buildings. Read more
Weed-free period in corn In corn this period occurs from V1 to V6 (1 to 6 leaf collars). Some sources will mention that it even begins at the VE stage (emergence). During this time the corn crop needs to stay clean. Weeds will affect yield
Here are some tips to avoid injury by evaluating activities and preparing for them
Farmers take their aches and pains as part of their work, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
Understanding factors that contribute to on-farm injury can be a start to reducing risk of getting hurt.
Why it matters: Farmers are busy, especially in certain seasons of the year, so reducing risk of injury when they need to be at their physical best can have important farm business implications.
Julie Anceriz, Syngenta Canada’s territory health and safety manager, told a recent Whole Farm Health seminar put on by the Ag Women’s Network, that there are ergonomic factors that affect risk of injury no matter what type of work one does, whether sedentary at an office chair or in a combine or tractor, or active, lifting and doing heavy work. Read more
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CH9 @ 3.78 up 2 CK9 @ 3.86 up 2 SF9 @ 8.99 up 3 SH9 @ 9.10 up 3 WH9 @ 5.19 up 5 WK9 @ 5.25 up 5 CDN$ .75506 days ago
- Closing Quotes CH9 @ 3.82 up 2 CK9 @ 3.90 up 2 SF9 @ 9.11 up 5 SH9 @ 9.24 up 5 WH9 @ 5.20 up 2 WK9 @ 5.26 up 2 CDN$ .75798 days ago
- Closing Quotes CH9 @ 3.80 down 2 CK9 @ 3.88 down 2 SF9 @ 9.06 down 6 SH9 @ 9.18 down 5 WH9 @ 5.17 up 1 W… https://t.co/r656pLX8SU9 days ago
- RT @ThompsonOrganic: If you're in #OntAg, that's us! https://t.co/h9nZjhqBBq45 days ago
- Winner of Thompsons #WelcometoBrevant Twitter contest https://t.co/u1PbzSAeVb55 days ago
- RT @ChrisRobson11: Come on out to @KentBridgeBrnch for a burger today courtesy of Thompsons and @BrevantSeedsCA See if you can beat @VanDeV…55 days ago
- Safety: Dangerous wind-chill and frostbiteJanuary 17, 2019 - 6:13 pm
- Safety: Importance of having a spotterJanuary 17, 2019 - 5:58 pm
- Grain marketing commentsJanuary 17, 2019 - 5:16 pm
- Safety: Heart attack, stroke, and cardiac arrest warning signsDecember 19, 2018 - 6:25 pm
- Grain Marketing Commentary for December 19, 2018December 19, 2018 - 11:37 am
- Safety: Hypothermia – Recognition & PreventionDecember 14, 2018 - 12:38 pm
- Grain Marketing for December 5, 2018December 6, 2018 - 2:54 pm