Photo and recipe compliments of Ontario Bean Growers
Note: Dry Beans are an unprocessed product. Although we carefully clean all beans, stones and natural debris may be present. Please sort and rinse beans prior to cooking.
Tropical Bean Salad
Scrumptious salad from the South Seas.
- 3 cups (500 ml) cooked white pea beans, drained
- 1 can (10 oz./284 ml) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) canned or fresh pineapple chunks, drained
- ½ cup (125 ml) green pepper, diced
- 1 can (8 oz./227 mL) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 red apple, cored and diced
- ½ cup (125 ml) raisins
- ¼ cup (50 ml) yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) mayonnaise
- ½ cup (125 ml) toasted macadamia nuts or slivered almonds
- ½ cup (125 ml) broken banana chips
In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Mix yogurt with mayonnaise and stir into bean and fruit mixture. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl or in hollowed-out pineapple halves. Garnish with nuts and banana chips. Serve with pineapple or whole wheat muffins.
Protein 11 g, Total Dietary Fibre 10 g
Download this recipe