What is it? Fusarium Head Blight is a fungal disease that affects the head of small grain crops. Also referred to as Scab, it can affect wheat, barley, oats, rye, corn, and triticale. Wheat and barley are generally the most affected. It is mainly caused by the species Fusarium graminearum, and can cause loss of […]
https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FusariumHeadBlightField2.jpg 307 800 Agronomy Team https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Artboard-2.png Agronomy Team2018-06-07 15:05:302018-06-07 15:35:02Fusarium head blight
https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FusariumHeadBlightField.jpg 1200 1600 Agronomy Team https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Artboard-2.png Agronomy Team2015-07-06 15:17:042015-07-16 17:37:20Managing Fusarium Head Blight at harvest
Combine tips and notes
- Higher fan speeds are needed to blow infected kernels out the back. Ridgetown College has done studies on fan speeds, and there is a tenfold decrease in the amount of Fusarium damaged kernels in a sample when the fan speed is at maximum blast. But with that comes challenges of losing good healthy kernels.
- Research from Ohio State showed combine fan speeds between 1375 and 1475 RPM and the shutter opening at 3.5 inches received the lowest discounts at elevators from FHB damaged wheat kernels and DON levels in the harvested grain.
- Reduce combine speed. Having the combine traveling at a slower speed, will allow better separation between the good and bad kernels.
- In fields which are severely affected by leaf diseases, the lower test weight of the grain may make it more difficult to separate normal kernels from Fusarium damaged kernels.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CZ9 @ 3.68 down 6 CH0 @ 3.80 down 6 SX9 @ 8.93 down 6 SF0 @ 9.07 down 6 WZ9 @ 4.84 down 4… https://t.co/ybvvMKrTE3yesterday
- Closing Quotes CZ9 @ 3.74 up 5 CH0 @ 3.86 up 4 SX9 @ 9.00 up 1 SF0 @ 9.13 up 1 WZ9 @ 4.88 up 5 WH0 @ 4.95 up 5 CDN$ .75502 days ago
- RT @MarkKeim3: This looks good even if it's on a John Deere https://t.co/FmpFULtSVW5 days ago
- Thompsons–Pain Court location Friday, September 27, 2019. Drop-off for Unwanted Pesticides and Livestock/Equine Med… https://t.co/ew13gfFo302 days ago
- RT @DressageAmanda1: Transitional @ThompsonOrganic soybeans looking fantastic! B138CO. @ThompsonsAg @BrevantSeedsCA https://t.co/e1886OtDwr9 days ago
- RT @DressageAmanda1: Reminder of @NorwichBranch @ThompsonOrganic Producer Soybean Grader Overview Wed. Sept 11th. 10AM-11AM. Please RSVP…10 days ago
- Driving safety: an accident is likely to occur 23 more times with cell phone useSeptember 9, 2019 - 9:37 am
- CleanFarmsThompsons Pain Court hosts CleanFarms September 27, 2019August 27, 2019 - 12:00 pm
- Grain marketing video comments for August 21, 2019August 21, 2019 - 4:01 pm
- Grain marketing video comments for August 13, 2019August 16, 2019 - 11:51 am
- Grain marketing commentary for August 12, 2019August 13, 2019 - 2:45 pm
- Sylvite purchases Thompsons’ agronomy business from The Andersons Inc.August 7, 2019 - 1:09 pm
- Safety: Be aware of your surroundingsJuly 18, 2019 - 10:41 am