What is it? Fusarium Head Blight is a fungal disease that affects the head of small grain crops. Also referred to as Scab, it can affect wheat, barley, oats, rye, corn, and triticale. Wheat and barley are generally the most affected. It is mainly caused by the species Fusarium graminearum, and can cause loss of […]
https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FusariumHeadBlightField2.jpg 307 800 Agronomy Team https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Artboard-2.png Agronomy Team2018-06-07 15:05:302018-06-07 15:35:02Fusarium head blight
https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FusariumHeadBlightField.jpg 1200 1600 Agronomy Team https://www.thompsonslimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Artboard-2.png Agronomy Team2015-07-06 15:17:042015-07-16 17:37:20Managing Fusarium Head Blight at harvest
Combine tips and notes
- Higher fan speeds are needed to blow infected kernels out the back. Ridgetown College has done studies on fan speeds, and there is a tenfold decrease in the amount of Fusarium damaged kernels in a sample when the fan speed is at maximum blast. But with that comes challenges of losing good healthy kernels.
- Research from Ohio State showed combine fan speeds between 1375 and 1475 RPM and the shutter opening at 3.5 inches received the lowest discounts at elevators from FHB damaged wheat kernels and DON levels in the harvested grain.
- Reduce combine speed. Having the combine traveling at a slower speed, will allow better separation between the good and bad kernels.
- In fields which are severely affected by leaf diseases, the lower test weight of the grain may make it more difficult to separate normal kernels from Fusarium damaged kernels.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- Closing Quotes CN9 @ 3.68 up 12 CU9 @ 3.77 up 11 SN9 @ 8.31 up 29 SQ9 @ 8.38 up 29 WN9 @ 4.48 up 11 WU9 @ 4.56 up 11 CDN$ .74346 days ago
- Midday Market Quotes CN9 up 12 CZ9 up 11 SN9 up 23 SX9 up 24 WN9 up 7 WZ9 up 7 CDN$ 0.74316 days ago
- RT @Cornbroker21: Crop Progress and Conditions as of May 12th 2019 (Maps to soon follow) #Corn #Soybeans #Wheat (Spring and Winter) #Mi…7 days ago
- RT @GBFarmersWeek: #farmersmentalhealth #mondaymorningcheckin How are you? How are the farmers in your lives? Farmers are the first to lend…7 days ago
- RT @FireHuron: As our area farmers get out on the land. #ShareTheRoad #BeAlert #thankafarmer #FarmersFeedFamilies #ontag #plant19 @HuronFed…7 days ago
- RT @StennettBryan: Another new tender for the @BlacksLane @ThompsonsAg South sales team. Keep them coming @ArmacreFarms #ontag #plant19 htt…13 days ago
- Safety: stairsMay 16, 2019 - 4:12 pm
- Grain marketing video for May 15, 2019May 16, 2019 - 3:28 pm
- Safety: Sharing the roadMay 13, 2019 - 10:41 am
- Grain Marketing videos for May 9, 2019May 9, 2019 - 4:11 pm
- Grain marketing video comments for May 1, 2019May 2, 2019 - 3:42 pm
- TrailblazingApril 29, 2019 - 12:53 pm
- Managing bare areas in winter wheat standsApril 26, 2019 - 10:05 am