Bean leaf beetles (BLB) are showing up in early planted soybeans that were treated with only fungicide seed treatment. As the result of area wide use of insecticide seed treatments, this pest had much of a presence over the last decade. Thankfully, rescue treatments are still possible if threshold has been reached. Read more
CHICAGO, May 31 (Reuters) – With risks to U.S. soybean trade with China already in the air, trade threats from Mexico and Canada may be the last thing the U.S. agriculture industry wants to see. But that is precisely what happened on Thursday.
The United States fiercely angered its neighbors by proceeding with steel and aluminum tariffs against them despite earlier talks of possible exemptions. Unless the issue is resolved quickly, the impact on U.S. agriculture could worsen.
Canada and Mexico were the Nos. 1 and 3 importers of U.S. agricultural products by value in 2017, respectively. Both countries hit back with their own list of U.S. goods to target hours after the United States decided to impose tariffs on aluminum and steel imports from Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. Read more
Weed-free period in corn In corn this period occurs from V1 to V6 (1 to 6 leaf collars). Some sources will mention that it even begins at the VE stage (emergence). During this time the corn crop needs to stay clean. Weeds will affect yield
Calculating soybean yields can be difficult. Plant spacing, soil types, environmental factors, insect and disease stress can all affect the final yield. Pod numbers, seeds per pod, and seed size will all control yield.
When do I begin counting?
The earliest time to begin yield counts is around R5-R6 stage with the R6 stage being preferred (a pod on any of the top four nodes of main stem full of seed.). By R6, all flowering will stop, pods have developed, and seeds in the pods are mostly filled. The accuracy of counts will always increase the closer you are to harvest.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- RT @Cornbroker21: USDA WASDE REPORT RESULTS/SUMMARY 12-10-2019 #Corn #Soybeans #Wheat https://t.co/TsBkvlsPr14 days ago
- RT @Courtney_Coxs96: Even after all the wind yesterday Brevant corn still standing tall in the Coatsworth area #ontag #harvest19 @BrevantSe…16 days ago
- Closing Quotes CZ9 @ 3.70 up 1 CH0 @ 3.80 up 1 SF0 @ 8.92 down 4 SH0 @ 9.07 down 4 WZ9 @ 5.31 up 15 WH… https://t.co/scOxOlxDkn19 days ago
- Thompsons–Pain Court location Friday, September 27, 2019. Drop-off for Unwanted Pesticides and Livestock/Equine Med… https://t.co/ew13gfFo3089 days ago
- RT @HensallBranch: B088Y1 - 0.8RM 2750HU - Aka “Bobby 1” and formerly known as 5A075RR2, this glyphosate tolerant yellow hilum variety is a…102 days ago
- RT @MitchellBranch: INTRODUCING - B95R46AM - 95 Day 2825HU - A consistent 95 RM for both grain and silage bringing a large plant with stron…102 days ago
- The Andersons Completes Sale of Thompsons Agronomy BusinessDecember 5, 2019 - 9:25 am
- Driving safety: an accident is likely to occur 23 more times with cell phone useSeptember 9, 2019 - 9:37 am
- CleanFarmsThompsons Pain Court hosts CleanFarms September 27, 2019August 27, 2019 - 12:00 pm
- Sylvite purchases Thompsons’ agronomy business from The Andersons Inc.August 7, 2019 - 1:09 pm
- Safety: Be aware of your surroundingsJuly 18, 2019 - 10:41 am
- Safety: pressure washer safetyJuly 4, 2019 - 4:14 pm
- Cover crop options for unseeded fieldsJuly 3, 2019 - 10:30 am