Greg Stewart, OMAFRA Corn Specialist; Albert Tenuta, OMAFRA Field Crop Pathologist
The OMAFRA Field Crops team has completed the survey of the 2014 Ontario corn crop to determine ear mould incidence and the occurrence of mycotoxins in the grain. These mycotoxins, particularly vomitoxin (DON) produced primarily by Gibberella/Fusarium ear moulds, are grading factors and can be disruptive when fed to livestock, especially hogs.
202 samples were collected from October 14 to October 17, 2014 from corn fields across the province. In each field, 2 random areas were selected: in each area 10 consecutive ears were hand harvested and bagged. In fields with several hybrids, representative samples were taken from two areas for each hybrid (maximum of 4 hybrids per field). The 20-ear samples were then immediately dried and shelled. The resultant sample was thoroughly mixed and a sub-sample provided to A&L Laboratories in London for vomitoxin (DON) analysis.
To be leaders in the food and agribusiness sector through sustainability, integrity, relationships, employee engagement, profitability and innovation.
- RT @Cornbroker21: Crop Progress and Conditions #Corn only Up 1% Good/Excellent and still only at 58% G/E #Soybeans only Up 1% Good/Excellen…9 hours ago
- RT @Cornbroker21: State by State Crop Progress and Conditions Maps as of 7-14-2019 #Soybeans Conditions, Emerged, and Blooming. https://t.…10 hours ago
- Closing Quotes CU9 @ 4.41 down 13 CZ9 @ 4.47 down 12 SQ9 @ 9.01 down 11 SX9 @ 9.20 down 11 WU9 @ 5.07 down 1… https://t.co/FCIh8Ru3SY10 hours ago
- RT @CKEcDev: "Canada can help to feed the people of the world, and today will be important for making that happen" @SenatorVictorOh "Today…13 days ago
- RT @UofGalumni: Fun fact, Massey Hall was actually the library until 1968, and the money donated to build it was actually the first private…20 days ago
- RT @StennettBryan: Well that’s a first for me. Scouting #rice19 with @PainCourtBranch #plant19. This is one field that’s been liking all th…38 days ago
- Market Minute with ATI’s Mark TalaskiJuly 9, 2019 - 8:37 am
- Safety: pressure washer safetyJuly 4, 2019 - 4:14 pm
- Grain marketing comments for July 3, 2019July 3, 2019 - 3:55 pm
- Cover crop options for unseeded fieldsJuly 3, 2019 - 10:30 am
- Local rice? Experimental farm showcases crop in Chatham-KentJuly 2, 2019 - 4:11 pm
- Trailblazing (part 2) – the curious leader – women farmersJune 21, 2019 - 2:45 pm
- Safety: never too busy for safetyJune 21, 2019 - 11:38 am